By SIVE FAITH GINYA
Most accommodation in the heart of Makhanda is fully booked, but there are township homestays and guest houses outside town to fall back on.
The Makana Tourism website lists option for those wanting to escape the festival rush in town. Kenton-On-Sea and Port Alfred are quiet beach towns where you can mix some of that Fest energy with salty sea air.
For example, Sheilan House is a child-friendly bed & breakfast located in Port Alfred, 49 minutes away from Makhanda. Guests there can enjoy free breakfast and Wi-Fi.
Just 40 minutes from Makhanda on the way to Kenton, Assegaai Trails offers self-catering accommodation and a range of outdoor activities, including bird watching, canoeing, hiking, and rafting.
For those wanting to stay in town, Imbokodo zase Makhanda (Rocks of Makhanda) Homestays is passionate about offering affordable and comfortable accommodation with the feel of Xhosa hospitality.
Prices range from R500 – R550. The latter mostly applies when the space is not shared.
For more information contact the following:
- Kwezi Lomso B&B (Mrs Twaku): 083 471 2570
- Lindrish’s B&B (Mrs Ngamlana): 083 558 6125
- Butholam B&B (Mrs Makuphula): 073 321 2463
- Mayzukie’s Accommodation and Catering (Mrs Mhlwathika): 072 267 0853
- Esona’s Accommodation and Catering (Mrs Mtinkulu): 065 682 3143
- Panda Guest House (Mrs Citwa): 071 122 7095
- Simo’s B&B (Mrs Nyanda): 084 644 1235
- @Home Homestay (Mrs Nodada): 082 616 5949
- Esihle B&B (Mrs Bungane): 083 427 1703