Community members attended an event at BB Zondani Hall to mark 16 days of Activism for no violence against Women and Children on Wednesday 28 November alongside NGOs and government departments including SASSA, Eastern Cape Social Development, Legal Aid South Africa, Hope, Health Department, SAPS, SANCO, Correctional Services, the Department of Education, the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa, Makana Rape Survivors Support Group, Rhodes University and Makana Municipality. Nomaxabiso Maqungo, Sector Manager at SAPS, guided discussions about gender based violence, with group discussions on the challenges in reporting and tracking the cases; the root causes of gender based violence and its impact on the abused person, the abuser, their family and community. The annual period of awareness runs from 25 November to 10 December.
- A town without a playground: where do the children play?
- Women, Politics, Power, Patriachy: A feminist lens
- Makhanda’s Links Royal House Gaokx’aob (Chief) has died
- What’s On – 30 March – 6 April
- Using an unapologetically queer and Black consciousness approach to destabilise the foundations
- EPRU competition kicks off this coming Saturday
- Rotary’s upgrade of water and sanitation at Ntsika Secondary School
- GADRA and Mobile Science Lab launch new science project