By SIVE FAITH GINYA
There are still accommodation options for festinos in the city – but those wanting to escape the festival crowds could look a little further afield. Check the Makana Tourism website for township homestays and guest houses outside the city.
The Imbokodo zase Makhanda (Rocks of Makhanda) Homestay group is passionate about offering affordable and comfortable accommodation with Xhosa hospitality. Prices range from R500- R550.
Kenton-On-Sea and Port Alfred are quiet beach towns where you can mix some of that fest energy with some salty sea air. About 30 minutes out on the way to Kenton is Assegai Trails, which offers self-catering accommodation and a range of activities, including bird watching, canoeing, hiking, and rafting. Sheilan House is a child-friendly B& in Port Alfred, 50 minutes away from Makhanda. Guests get to enjoy complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi.
For more information on township home stays, contact the following:
- Kwezi Lomso B&B (Mrs Twaku): 083 471 2570
- Lindrish’s B&B (Mrs Ngamlana): 083 558 6125
- Butholam B&B (Mrs Makuphila): 073 321 2463
- Mayzukie’s Accommodation and Catering (Mrs Mhlwathika): 072 267 0853
- Esona’s Accommodation and Catering (Mrs Mtinkulu): 065 682 3143
- Panda Guest House (Mrs Citwa): 071 122 7095
- Simo’s B&B (Mrs. Nyanda): 084 644 1235
- @Home Homestay (Mrs Nodada): 082 616 5949
- Esihle B&B (Mrs Bungane): 083 427 1703