Last week the Department of Employment and Labour led by Director General, Mr Thobile Lamati, visited Makana Municipality. The purpose of the visit was to conduct a two-day exit strategy workshop for the 1650 learnership beneficiaries. Below are the learnership programmes under way in Makana:
As can be seen from the above table, three learnership programmes have already started. The two-day workshop took place from 20 to 21 November 2019. The following themes were explored in depth.
- What do I want to do with what I have learnt?;
- Job creation opportunities in Makhanda;
- Waste management initiatives;
- Technology innovation and skills development;
- Career and business opportunities in the water sector;
- Possible partnership and role of the Premier;
- E-waste management opportunities;
- Water waste to renewable energy;
- Market opportunities in agriculture/ hydroponics
This two-day intensive workshop was intended to help the students participating in the learnerships focus on their careers beyond the programme.