Thirty-four Nombulelo Secondary School pupils hospitalised for symptoms of food poisoning Wednesday 11 April were treated and released the same day, according to principal Nicci Hayes.
While a social media post speculated that listeriosis might be the cause, Hayes said there was no indication this was the case.
“The 34 Nombulelo choir members who had food poisoning were treated immediately and released from hospital this morning,” Hayes told Grocott’s Mail on Wednesday night.
“The hospital has confirmed that all the children are in a stable condition and that there is no sign of Listeriosis. The school would like to thank the Joza clinic staff and the hospital staff for their quick and efficient response and for taking the case as seriously as they did. Their professionalism is to be commended.”
Grocott’s Mail urges residents to visit a local clinic or hospital immediately should they experience symptoms of illness such as severe vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps.